The story of Hunt Refining Company begins with H.L. Hunt and the creation of Hunt Oil Company in 1934. Ten years later, oil was the discovered in the Gilbertown Field in Choctaw County, Alabama. This was the first discovery of oil in the area and another example where Hunt Oil Company continued the tradition of discovering oil in places where others never thought to look.
The next year, Hunt Oil Company began looking for a site to develop a refinery to process oil from the Gilbertown Field. The town of Tuscaloosa, Alabama was chosen for its proximity to road, rail and the Black Warrior River.
The refinery was built, and, in 1946, a 3,500 barrel per day refinery began producing asphalt for Central and West Alabama. The foundation was laid for Hunt Refining Company.